Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on a running 0.1 version

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on a running 0.1 version
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:05:56 +0200

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 07:21:09PM +1000, Richard wrote:

> PROGRESS NOTES
> ===========
> General: The gui doesn't resize properly, so that it often doesn't have the
> save etc buttons showing on the bottom of the screen.
this is likely to do with wxPython 2.6, please help fixing

> the gui-elements do not
> visually update properly eg you can add a problem, save it, and it dosn't
> appear on the active problem list
I have about a million times asked on the list for help on
this. Hilmar has expended some effort. He has fixed quite a
few problems with this. It works for me and on all machines
I have tested.

> (mind you I don't know why an urti should
because it is a non-closed episode and hence an active problem

> - there should be a mechanism to designate if the added encounter is
> an active problem).
1) you don't add encounters, you add episodes
2) encounters are neither active nor inactive problems, they are neither

> After saving one patient records having added a progress note, try clicking
> on
> the search patient box (I'll leave aside my long standing strenous objection
> to leaving the previous patient's records visible on the screen).
You can switch off that behaviour by means of a
configuration option. What are you complaining about ?

> After
> selecting a patient from the popup list, hey presto - the previous patients
> problem list is still visible. - that is until you gently re-size the window
> again and they disppear. Also if you load in a new patient his actual problem
> list will not replace the last patients visually unless you re-size the
> screen.
See above.

> It is possible to add a new episode title and click save and it appears on
> the
> active problem list without any notes having been entered. However nothing is
> listed in either the EMRdump, tree, or journal at all.
True. At the conference Ian pointed me at that. We agreed to
fix it - in 0.2. However, the empty episode does show up in
my EMR tree view and journal.

> I still fail to understand the logic of these progress notes.
well, the notebook layout is precisely what you suggested

> If one adds a new episode and saves it and it appears on the active problem
> list and then one double clicks on this it adds a new tab.
yes, you are indicating that you want to add data to an
*episode* - which is a period of care

> If you add another
> episode and it adds it to the active problem list (and say you have put in
> hypertension using the phx popup dialog )
If you used the phx popup you are adding a health issue, not
an episode. Past history items are considered health issues,
not just episodes.

> and then you double click on one of
> the active problem list members the behaviour is different  - this time it
> pops up a dialog and the description corresponding the hypertension in the
> active list is 'past medical history', which rather than hypertension, which
> after all would seem to my logic to be the past history item one is trying to
> add notes to.
Since past history items are health issues you cannot
directly add notes to them. You must open an episode (of care)
for that health issue. This is what the dialog is about. It
helps you to start a new episode on that health issue. We
*will* make that more intuitive in 0.2. We spoke about that
at the conference with Ian.

> If one has then say made a mistake there is no obvious way to remove the tab,
> save clicking the save button.
We can add a close button. Is it really needed, however ?

> combinations and permutations, I'm just as confused as usual. though Karsten
> will no doubt blast me for what he sees as unconstructive criticism,
Of course. I always do. By principle.