Re: [Gnumed-devel] capturing GNUmed use

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] capturing GNUmed use
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:05:36 +1000

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

The output produced by xvidcap is running too fast. This is due to xvidcap dropping frames on slow machines. The fact that those movies don't run in MediaPlayer just shows the quality of this software (or lack of).

But before you call us ignorant we do our best to provide you with video that even MediaPlayer users can watch. We have failed to produce such a viedo with free codes and cannot use your beloved wmf. Thank MS for that.

I recommend you get a decent video player for your OS which happens to be either VLC or MPlayer. Extend them with a codec pack and you are ready to go.

Until then I am afraid we have to live with blocky, fast running mpegs/avi videos.
About 90% of potential GNUmed users will be running Ms-Windows. Of those, about 90% will not bother to install a better video play. Therefore about 81% of potential GNUmed users will never see your video, or if they do, it will look terrible and run at the wrong speed.

I appreciate any notice on where to find free alternatives. If you happen to know of such a thing even on MS Windows I would be glad to hear about it.
How about vnc2swf? But the best way to produce screen movies on MS Windows which can be viewed by MS Windows users is to use Windows Media Encoder, which comes at no extra cost with Windows XP (and may be installable at no extra cost for earlier versions, I think). Yes, it only produces WMF files which can only be viewed on MS Windows machines, so you need to make two movies - one for MS Windows and one using xvidcap for everyone else, but hey, that's life. The movie produced by Windows Media Encoder will look much better and the file will be much smaller, in my experience.

Tim C

Sebastian