Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:33:56 +0200

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:30:12AM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:

> Look, GNUmed is (collectively) your project - I am just an interested
> observer - but I really don't understand why you need to change
> Python-PostgreSQL database adaptors.
We don't have to. What slightly bothers me is that pyPgSQL
*seems* somewhat unmaintained. Other than that it's fine by
me. Other people would like to switch to a fully-Python
solution as that would allow us to more easily control
dependancies (eg reduce them) or so is the idea. My opinion
is that if that's a problem it's a sign of lacking package
management of the platform.

We did talk about staying on pyPgSQL and perhaps sharing the
workload between NetEpi and GNUmed in keeping the packages
in sync with CVS should that be required.

I certainly prefer not to move full maintenance of a DB-API
adapter into GNUmed !

For me the one reason to switch would be to gain
performance. Psycopg is said to be the one that's fastest.
So, *if at all*, I'd consider that one.