Re: [Gnumed-devel] SPAM on email lists, also (was Nuisance wiki hackers

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SPAM on email lists, also (was Nuisance wiki hackers)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:11:45 +1000

J Busser wrote:

>> Horst has addded me as admin to the other mailing lists so I can now
>> assist administering -update and -announce as well as -devel. (Thanks,
>> Horst!)

>>     http://www.gnumed.org/contacts/lists.html
>>
>> which now informs that postings from an unsubscribed address will be
>> rejected.
>>
>> In point of fact it is only unsubscribed emails sent to gnumed-devel
>> that will be rejected. These will give the poster notice of the
>> rejection and to email <address@hidden> with any concerns.

Excellent, thanks Jim.

>> For our other lists ( -announce and -update) emails from unsubscribed
>> addresses will simply be discarded.

That's fine.

>> Is it the CVS server that emails notice of updates & commits to
>> gnumed-devel, or do these come from some other address?
>> If that address is not subscribed, I beleive I can "whitelist" it in
>> mailman so that legitimate update emails will still be accepted.

I once had a script running on gnu.org which sent regular update reports to
address@hidden
I will try to re-activate this, although its less important as we now have
CVSMonitor
These mails come from "address@hidden"

gnumed-announce is a low-traffic list for major feature announcements.
It is reasonable that only the adminstrator post to this list.

Ian