Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:59:15 +0200

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 11:02:32PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> I believe that MySQL achieves some measure of ACID compliance if the
> db manager(s) choose to apply Inno DB tables.
Well, yes.

a) IF ... choose to ...

   - there shouldn't be a choice about this for a medical record

b) if there is a spelling error, say you wrote "IMMODB"
   instead of "INNODB" MySQL will silently fall back to MyISAM
   without ACIDity

   - of course, in a perfect world, there are no mistakes in speling

c) it is possible to *mix* ACID and non-ACID tables

   - the result is undefined

d) MySQL allows to insert invalid dates into timestamp fields

d) MySQL silently truncates numbers if they are too large for a field

There's a MySQL GOTCHAs page on the web. There's one for
PostgreSQL, too, to be open about it. No doubt MySQL is
slowly getting better once v5 comes out and eventually
starts consolidating.