Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:05:36 +0200

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 22:46, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 11:36:59AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:
> > software that is then re-sold to the public. But a legitimate point,
> > made in response by someone elsewhere, is the importance of a private
> > company not holding the license to open source software that is being
> > developed. They made the point that even a University if it holds the
> > license to an Open Source software, it can change the license at a
> > future release. Hence, if we wish to be strong in defense of the
> > point, we should create a Foundation modelled after an appropriate
> > example, yes? That way people volunteering (or agencies contributing
> > funds) might have fewer worries about their contributions being
> > "taken" into what later becomes a for-profit enterprise.
>
> Actually, as I understand it, we are currently quite safe
> regarding licensing: All the developers would have to agree
> to a license change.
As far as I can see people are not overly concerned about license changes
since FOSS is a little known concept. You cannot imagine what I reactions I
get when I solve other poeple's computer problems and they learn that I used
tools I didn't have to steal :-) The stare goes blank and the bubble says why
is he using something I have not even heard of when he can get W... for free
everywhere. I have given up explaining it long ago.

So my point is that at least people I know need something to hold on to. They
don't give money for FOSS. The give ressources for a project. Without
thinking much about the ideas behind those projects. So if you wnat something
you need to give them something. Not FOSS and not ideas. Something more in
line with their bug ridden software concept. Give them a foundation, non
profit or whatever. Because it will make them feel good. They can tell their
friends that the donated money to a charity, non profit whatever.

They cannot go to their friends and say. Hey I donated ressources to GNUmed.
That most likely doesn't make them feel good. Not to mention tyx deduction in
many countries. Feel good and tax deduction. Wow.

That's the way to go. Mozilla foundation put people's name in NY newspaper. Do
you really think donations would have been as plentiful without the names in
the ad ? Think about it.

Yeah I am being negative here but you need to meet people at a level where
they can follow you. It's simple, really.

Just come up with a notfor profit and start making money or I do it :-)

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany