Re: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNUmed e.g. IEEE Symposium? R

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNUmed e.g. IEEE Symposium? Role of "Papers"?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:42:36 +0100

Let's forget about GNUmed for a second.
Here are some issues, questions we had to deal with when being present at
LinuxWorldExpo

Q1: What is GNUmed ?
Q2: What is OpenSource - what is closed source ?
Q3: Why yet another program ?
Q4: Why is the software I use right now not what I need ?
Q4: Why do I need access to the source code ?
Q5: Can it do this or that ?
Q6: Can I use it instead of my current software package ?
Q7: It costs nothing right ?
Q8: I can be used for dentists, hospitals, retirement homes as well, right ?
Q9: Can I use it in France, Indonesia ... ?

Questions most likely not asked:
Q1: I have full control over my data when using GNUmed, right ?
Q2: I can structure my notes if I want to , right ?
Q3: I will have to pay for services around GNUmed , right ?
Q4: I can use and change it for my country, right ?
Q5: I can use it side by side with my existing application, right ?
Q6: I can hire professionals to provide service and fix bugs , right ?
Q7: It has a comprehensive documentation, right
Q8: You will let me look into the program source code without fearing
judgement day, right ?
Q9: You will not be pissed of if I ask you questions beyond enduser's
knowledge
Q10: You will answer basic questions as well ?

Bottom line. Many people have never hear of OpenSource. It's a new concept and
by default people seems to fear ne concepts because the cannot grasp
everything that is invloved. Talking to OpenSource freaks might expose one's
lack of skills and that is a nono in closed source world.

During conference you can meet many people you will never meet on the
internet. The just drop by. Many of them have interesting ideas. So
conferences are important to spread the word. That's what I have been there
for. IMHO don't expect more but do at least this. Spread the word and you
will attract people you would never have known they exist.

On Friday 25 November 2005 17:50, J Busser wrote:
> CBMS 2006 is the 19th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based
> Medical Systems which will take place in June of 2006.
>
> It was brought to my attention by colleagues who are proposing for
> inclusion a special track on Open Source Software and Open Document
> Formats. If the track is included, the associated publications may be
> more likely to get the attention of groups considering or advocating
> Open Source.
>
> I don't know that we would by January 31 have a paper we would want
> to submit and, if accepted for presentation, a person who would want
> to go to Utah. But ever since the Google Summer of Code I have
> thought we should identify and compile a list of opportunities that
> we can pursue with strategic timing.
It is reasonably easy to come up with such a paper but it is like every other
work in life. One needs to do it. Preferrably someone dedicated. I decide
which conferences to go to in the light of ressources. I have no money to
throw a away and no time to waste. So I will never attend a conference to
propagate OpenSource like a preacher. If I feel I might get something in
return like meet some people and it doesn't cost a lot I am in. Pane tickets
and/or hotel prices are out of question. No thought is being wasted on it.

> So at some point would we have "significant unpublished work" that we
> would want to write up and submit to a conference intending
> publication? What might we like to have published?
Think about your usecase. Publish what you were able to achieve through
OpenSource in medicine. Forget about what can be achieved if the earth cracks
open...
> Would a vehicle
> like http://cbms2006.ece.byu.edu/index.html be suitable?
Depends on what messages you want to get across.

> Anyone been
> thinking about the role of "publication"? I do think that the medical
> community does still value publications in legitimate journals over
> and above any self-promotional materials anyone can put on their own
> web site or wiki.
True but might shift sometimes. This is a question of trust. An old concept.
Medical communities slowly starts to trust people instead of journals. A new
concept :-) If you publish rubbish in an well respected journal  it is
considered the holy truth. Now what does this tell you.

Whenever we get a chance we publish long or short articles in medical journals
or affiliated publications. You need a story for that. Something you can
relate to. Someone might be interested in reallife examples.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany