Re: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:17:04 +0100

On Saturday 17 December 2005 13:43, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>

> > No. What he's saying is that it's better to *code* by one's
> > non academically sound vision rather than not coding by a
> > superb design plan.
>
> I understand you don't like me telling you that we need a different
> development process.

Guys let's define the 'we' here. Richard aleays points out there is no we.
> You and the rest of the coders brought Gnumed to
> almost 0.2 without that, so why bother ? First,my intention was not to tell
> you that you wont reach v1.0 doing it your way. You probably will.
We sure as hell will but it won't be what your v.1.0 will look like and it
will take longer.

> It might
> take some time, though. I just strongly believe that a) you could save the
> time you already needed and will continue to need for redesigning your code
I wish that was true. Can't you help us by coordinating the specs ?
I will follow them and I will then find out what works better.

> b) > it will be easier to communicate to others what you had in mind when
> coding and how everything is thought to play together.
True.

> Second, the decision
> is not "To code or not to code". It's rather "To code with or without a
> planning phase".

Absolutely.

> In my eyes spending some hours/days in order to have a
> plan is not wasted time.

Agreed.

> It's time you can easily save in the coding phase.

I have no experience.

> And that is what I have seen and experienced. Sometimes it's better to ask
> the crucial questions first and hit the keys afterwards. I guess that you
> are doing some sort of design process for your own anyways and you have a
> clear vision, too. So what I was asking you was to write your thoughts down
> (even in a not so superb manner) and let others participate in the design
> process.
That makes sense. I will consult Karsten on that. We really should write down
our vision. It will only cover areas we are working on right now anyway. I
will not cover areas I cannot relate to.

> It's never bad to add more brains in the design process. What will
> be coded in the end is a different topic.
Can I add your brain to the design process so I can be lazy coder ?

> > > I am quite convinced that making a at least
> > > rough plan (specs) before starting to code will save you
> > > time in the end.
No experience but you are convinced means it's best for you to do it that way.

> > So, where are your specs ?
>
> I said that I will write down some specs and I'm determined to do so. I
> will probaly have some time at end of December, so you can expect to see
> something written down at the beginning of the next year.
I am not going to pressure you on this. It will be a lot easier once anyone of
us came up with some examples.

As for myself. I will write some specs once 0.2 is out the door. I will not
start now. But I start my first job in January which will tie me to the
hospital for even longer than it has until now.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany