Re: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Specs (was: Gnumed brochures)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:06:53 +0100

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 01:43:23PM +0100, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> > No. What he's saying is that it's better to *code* by one's
> > non academically sound vision rather than not coding by a
> > superb design plan.
> I understand you don't like me telling you that we need a
> different development process.

> First,my intention was not to tell you that you wont reach
> v1.0 doing it your way. You probably will. It might take
> some time, though. I just strongly believe that a) you could
> save the time you already needed and will continue to need
> for redesigning your code and
I won't argue with that as I have no experience in it.

> b) it will be easier to
> communicate to others what you had in mind when coding and
> how everything is thought to play together.
That sounds fair.

> Second, the decision is not "To code or not to code". It's
> rather "To code with or without a planning phase". In my
> eyes spending some hours/days in order to have a plan is not
> wasted time.
It's not but the time must be *spent*. Of course, unspent
time isn't wasted either so I don't blame anyone.

> It's time you can easily save in the coding phase.
Only true if there's an "army" of coders to delegate the
grunt work to. There isn't. GNUmed is a vertical type
application.

> And that is what I have seen and experienced.
Aha, interesting! Maybe you can share concrete
experience here ?

> I guess that you are doing some
> sort of design process for your own anyways and you have a
> clear vision, too.
Why, of course.

> So what I was asking you was to write
> your thoughts down (even in a not so superb manner)
Read the Wiki and point out what's lacking. I am happy to
fill the gaps.

> and let others participate in the design process.
I have nearly always solicited help on the design of tables
and code on this very list. People have only moderately
responded to it most times.

> I said that I will write down some specs and I'm
> determined to do so. I will probaly have some time at end of
> December, so you can expect to see something written down at
> the beginning of the next year.
Excellent, thank you ! I am sincerely looking forward to that.