[Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vision and implications: Strategic planning]

From: Richard Hosking
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vision and implications: Strategic planning]
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:44:58 +0800

Damn I always forget the "reply all"

-------- Original Message --------
Date:   Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:46:28 +0800
From:   Richard Hosking <address@hidden>
To:     J Busser <address@hidden>

Dear all

Herewith the results of a quick Google for “successful Open Source projects”

*Characteristics of a successful OSS Project*

What are the characteristics of a “successful” OSS project?

I thought it might be a useful exercise at this stage in Gnumed's development to look at the characteristics of some projects that are widely acknowledged as “successful” and apply these to Gnumed.

I have done a brief (3hr) Google search on “successful Open Source projects”.

*Some brief conclusions *

 1.

    *Most OSS projects fail*

    90-95% of all startups disappear

 2.

    *Of the projects studied, all arose out of a need to improve a
    current program*

    Apache, Mozilla and Sendmail all arose from the need to improve a
    current program. Hence a working “prototype” was available. It
    appears difficult to generate community interest without anything
    to work on. It could be argued that Gnumed 0.1 is a prototype,
    even though it has only minimal functionality.

 3.

    *There is little literature on traditional design methods*

    On this quick search, I could find very little on the upfront
    design process we have been discussing. Feasibility and user
    requirements appear to be not formally considered in most OSS
    projects. Presumably the developers involved consider these issues
    informally

 4.

    *Most OSS developers are users*

    As such, they understand the “domain” the software is to work in,
    and have a clear idea of (at least their own) “user requirements”.
    This appears to me to be a major problem for Gnumed – while the
    developers are medical, there is divergence on what functionality
    the program should provide as a minimum. Most potential long term
    users will not contribute to development as happens in many OSS
    projects

 5.

    *Project “governance” varied*

    Of the three projects considered, one was a spinoff from a
    commercial venture (Mozilla) and Netscape retained control and put
    considerable resources into managing and testing the codebase (6
    teams). Apache was probably the most similar to Gnumed. This had a
    much smaller codebase than Mozilla. There were 8-25 “core”
    developers, with 4-8 active at any time. Most of the codebase
    (>85%) was contributed by 15 core developers. They had a “quorum”
    for voting on major issues. Most communication was via E mail
    lists. Sendmail was coordinated by a single developer.

 6.

    *Users who are knowledgeable contribute to identifying and fixing
    bugs*

    Approximately 10 times as many users as “core” developers supplied
    fixes and many more again identified bugs and tested software

In summary I see the problems for Gnumed as "user requirements" and sheer technical feasibility with the current resources of a very complex software suite. It could be equated to the complexity of Mozilla

Does anyone want this (or more) posted to the Wiki?
I could add an attachment to the Development Process page

Richard (H)