Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Application for port-number: ssad (Assigned-4750

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Application for port-number: ssad (Assigned-4750) [I06-051114-0006]
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:02:39 +0100

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 08:28:05AM +1100, Horst Herb wrote:

> Meaning that since I can now rely on port 4750 for my "simple service
> discovery" protocol - meaning that projects like wagtail and gnumed can enjoy
> zero configuration installations where even the server is found by the
> clients automagically as long as it is within broadcast address mask range.

I suggest allowing clients to support a string to the server
as a cue as to what sort of server they are looking for.

Wagtail might supply "LDAP" while GNUmed would send
"PostgreSQL".

Since there can only be one server per "domain" it needs to
be able to understand what clients are looking for or else
it is *too* simple to be useful.