Re: [Gnumed-devel] icons needed for sorting documents

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] icons needed for sorting documents
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 08:37:30 -0700

On May 9, 2006, at 4:14 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Therefore maybe we overlay, onto the head
and shoulder silhouette, a thin blue arrow as is used (when printing)
to specify a multi-item layout (i.e. down, then diagonally up to the
right, then down).
Not sure I can follow ?

- overlay onto our icon an arrow something like the one below (used by a digital photo management app) except coloured blue

TIFF image

... the arrow's original context was within a print dialog, to instruct the layout of multiple items on a page. Ours would be to instruct the layout (sort order) of documents in a view. The alternative to this "curvy" arrow might be a *pair* of arrows, one pointing down and the other up, with one member of the pair solid, and the other dotted (implying the reverse order which we could, but needn't support).

So is there a preference (between a wavy arrow, or a pair of arrows) to denote the "sort action part" of the icons?

There is still the value of people's (Richard Terry and others') input into which of the following icon choices (or any other suggestion) would best convey documents to be sorted. So far, options include
- a composite stack of documents or
- the "tops" of the above, peeking out of a folder made to look like a clinical chart

Then we would just have the variable portion (chronologic, checked/ unchecked, A-z by episode name)