Re: [Gnumed-devel] some 1st cut proposed optimizations to emrbrowser

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] some 1st cut proposed optimizations to emrbrowser
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 21:12:47 +0800

on another list, I mentioned that I thought it doesn't matter whether the backend is a networked flat file system database

like  DBase , or  a sophisticated column clustering , AI tree prune searching database like Postgres,  I thought that when

it came to retrieving very large medical records for user browsing and editing,  performance would be greatly affected

by the access pattern of the client program .  I proposed that  the ability separate retrieval of title/summary data vs .

large blocks of text or binary data was one important consideration, and from the point of usability, an emr viewer

should be opened quickly , without blocking waiting for large amounts of data to arrive from the server - non -blocking

retrieval of the medical record.  Karsten argues that incomplete display of data may not be desirable.

The changes are a compromise :-  the user only sees one encounter narrative set at a time when using the emrBrowser, so why

not retrieve each narrative set as it is browsed ?  However,  at some stage , it might be useful for the client to have

all the emr record cached client side,  e.g. for faster browser operation, so why not set off a separate thread which does

the original bulk retrieval of the narratives,  and when it completes, load the client side cache , if the calling clinical record

object is still existing (i.e. the user hasn't changed to look at another patient in the meanwhile).

  It 's just a bit of fun to make gnumed more sophisticated , but really, just having one encounter retrieval at a time

for emr browsing is enough, and this isn't multithreaded.

With respect to the display of the emr journal,  this can be made scalable by retrieving only the parts of the journal text

that fill up the viewable text area, and listening in on the scrollbar ; or you could do it much like a GIF image update,

where you first update the text with the chronology of encounters, and the number and type of narratives,

and gradually fill up the narratives with the text , depending on where the scrollbar position is with respect to the positions of the

encounters in the skeleton text . Well, that's one hair brained idea anyway.

On Sat May 27 14:34 , Sebastian Hilbert sent: