Re: [Gnumed-devel] q about schema

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] q about schema
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:08:36 +0200

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 08:28:09PM +1000, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> > > 1. where is nil known allergies stored ?
> >
> > - either non-explicitely as in "no rows in clin.allergy"
> > - or clin.allergy_state (explicitely)
>
> 'no rows in clin.allergy' isn't 'nil known allergies'
I know.

> nil known allergies means the question has been asked and a reply received.
Or refused. Which is a reply, too.

> my current package won't let you proceed if there are 'no rows in
> clin.allergy' because that is a dangerous state of (no) knowledge.
Hopefully it provides a selection "no current knowledge on
state of affairs" ?!  Else it might lead to explicitely faulty data:

Staff in a hurry to churn out a script. Allergy state
reminder pops up. Hastily select "no known allergies" since
patient isn't there to be asked. Later "no known allergies"
shows up when someone else looks at the chart.

If such things can happen it is better to not record faulty
allergy knowledge in the first place. Because then since I
know the system does not let me record states of
non-knowledge an empty "allergies" widget prompts me to ask
for it when appropriate.

And even if the widget said "no known allergies" I'd have to
(should) re-ascertain myself of that fact when, say,
prescribing a new drug.