Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 45, Issue 10

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 45, Issue 10
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:30:01 +0200

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 06:48:37PM +0200, Philipp Walderdorff wrote:

> > > On two PCs it stack  and on the third PC it destroyed grub
> > > and, what I could understand right now, more: The
> > > patitionstable.
> >
> > Just booting Knoppix on a PC is unlikely to destroy anything
> > on the harddisk.
>
> But id did!
IF that is true you should definitely report this to the
Knoppix team. I was just saying that it doesn't have to do
with GNUmed being on that Knoppix CD-ROM.

> Even if we do not know the reasen, the fact is, that since booting from this
> GNUmed-life-CD Linux cannot find a partition-table.
You said something like "when installing to the hard disk" ?
That, of course would be *write* access. Just booting the
disk is intended to *only ever* read from the disk.

> Is it possible that occasionally there is a hardware-falure?
Sure.

> So, should not there be a warning?
If it's reproducible then yes.