[Gnumed-devel] archive converted - now how cool is that

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] archive converted - now how cool is that
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 18:15:19 +0200

Hi all,

While not exactly developer talk I can't resist sharing this. A few years back
I wrote the first standalone document archive. Back then GNUmed was nowhere
near it is today. My parents have been using this for 4 years or so and have
been putting a total of 1605 documents in. I mean scan them in, associate
some meaningful metadata (short summary, date, type of letter) . Actually
those 1605 documents make up 2484 sheets since some are multipage letters.

Anyway the day had to come when GNUmed Librarian was released. Well it came
and it was time to install GNUmed instead of the old standalone app. So one
can say it was time for a migration from one unsupported app to the shiny new
one. Is it possible ? You better believe it. Because of the power of
OpenSource Karsten was able to extract the schema of the old database and
write a converter to get the data flying over.

To be honest ist took some hacking to do it but in the non-free world I guess
it would have been close to impossible.

After solving some issues with umlauts (old db sql_ascii / new db unicode) The
converter transfered the data without a hitch ( 1GB of data in approx. 20
minutes)

Why is that so exiting ? Because for the first time I have 638 patients in
GNUmed which let's you do some performance testing. What can I say. Patient
search is instantaneous.

This so rocks. GNUmed 0.2 has hit the real world.
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany