Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:52:24 +1100

syan tan wrote:
> mod_python is fairly simple, and it seemed to be the easiest to learn.
> Much of the styling can be outsourced to css files I'm assuming, but
> some things would require a rewrite ( for instance, the use of frameset
> for the multiple panel idiom , the easiest ("hack") was to use a
> frameset from the initial login page, with other frames sized minimally,
> and then to resize them as required with javascript, prior to jumping
> with  &lt a href='' onclick="javascript:.." ; this most probably is
> present in the frameworks , but seemed more easily done with
> basic html / javascript api , and cut and paste as each use case
> is done.  I'm assuming the frameworks would make the cut and paste part
> less needed, but mod_python seemed to give the right amount of
> needed minimal function, like a session store and configurable
> debugging output.

My advice is don't lock yourself into mod_python. By all means use it as
a hosting alternative, along with FastCGI, plain CGI, native Python HTTP
server etc. Production experience with mod_python has been variable, and
the idea of running your app in the same process as the httpd server is
not comforting. Many now use FastCGI. WSGI is a generic Python Web app
interface designed to provide a standard API for all these lower-level
hosting facilities - chose a framework taht supports it (also, Albatross
does not but provides its own hosting abstraction, which predates WSGI).

A framework will (or should) provide a lot more on top of session
management (which is a bit lightweight in mod_python), like templating,
I18n and l10n support etc etc, as well as support for MVC or other
logic-presentation separation (otherwise just use PHP...).

Oh, and don't even consider Zope. It is good as a content management
system but a quagmire for more general purpose web app development.
Django also has a content management system bias (or roots), although it
is definitely good for other things. Turbogears is good for the lot, as
are teh various lower-level frameworks such as CherryPy and Pylons etc.

Check out the blog of Ian Bicking as a start: http://ianbicking.org/

Tim C