Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql live cd

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgresql live cd
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 05:48:00 +1000

Tim Churches wrote:
> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

>>> It does have Python but does it have psycopg2 ? One would
>>> need to find out. I suppose one could get the author of
>>> pg_live to include it if not.
>> Guess so. Even if it is missing it shouldn't be too hard to get GNUmed
>> running. I am just thinking of using it as a base for customization.
>
> There is a shell script in the latest tarball release for NetEpi
> Collection (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/netepi ) which takes the
> Ubuntu LiveCD distribution and strips out unecessay stuff, installs
> PostgreSQL and NetEpi and various screencast demo movies and the manuals
> etc, and then creates an ISO for burning. The resulting ISO is about
> 350MB, wwhich is just half of the original Ubuntu ISO size. However, it
> still needs 512MB of RAM to boot properly.
>
> I mention this because you might what to use that script as a starting
> point. At some stage we want to try it with Xubuntu as well, which
> should result in a considerably smaller ISO and lower booting memory
> requirements. And of course update it for the latest release of Ubuntu,
> which is in late beta release now. Happy to collaborate with GNUmed to
> create a Ubuntu/Xubuntu config script that can be shared and customised
> from NetEpi or GNUmed use.

I should add that we have tested the persistence option with PostgreSQL
with the above liveCD and it works nicely: a) boot the liveCD b) plug in
any USB memory key (or any other USB storage device, like an external
hard drive - I've been using the tiny Seagate 2.5GB drives and they work
really well)c) copy a single file to the root directory of the USB
device - no need to reformat it or create a partition on it d) reboot
the liveCD and choose persistence mode -> PostgreSQL is now mounted from
the USB drive, and all data is staved there. It seems fairly robust,
even when you pull the USB drive out without shutting down. I wouldn't
recommend it for routine production use but it is great as a demo or for
a trial system.

Tim C