Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed top level exception handler - language advice

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed top level exception handler - language advice needed
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:39:53 +0200

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 09:57:20PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> current:
> >However, it is strongly advised to close this client as soon as
> >possible.
>
> suggested (maybe even delete "client"):
> >However, it is strongly advised to close this GNUmed software
> >("client") as soon as possible.
Done.

> current:
> >It should then be safe to start the client.
>
> suggested:
> >It should then be safe to restart GNUmed.
Done.

> 2. Two buttons are offered, OK and Close GNUmed. While the action of
> "Close GNUmed" seems clear enough, if the action of OK is to dismiss
> the window and to permit GNUmed to keep running (if it can) maybe we
> should relabel it "Keep running".
Done.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Is the screen that is presented by the unhandled exception handler
> nonmodal, i.e. permitting the user to continue running GNUmed in a
> separate, already-running window?
The window is modal to the client it happens in. It does not
affect other clients running on the same machine.

> Will the handler permit the already-
> open GNUmed windows to be brought into the foreground, hiding this
> handler window, or will the handler window be "fixed" in the
> application foreground.
As far as input goes it will be "fixed" in the client where
it happened. Other clients are unaffected as for input and
display. Whether the affected client window can be brought
up in front of the handler window depends on the discreetion
of the Window Manager, nothing we can do much about.
However, the affected client window will have display
glitches while the handler (any modal dialog) is open
because paint events (which are needed when coming to the
foreground are caught by the handler window and not passed
to the client window.

> 3. Is there value to insert a middle button "Copy to clipboard", this
> would reduce the work of having to manually select the content of the
> log (if that is what is displayed inside the text area) even if the
> copy-to-clipboard functionality is accessible from this part of GNUmed.
The display is entirely redundant. All error information is
in the log. The log is saved to a new file the name of which
is displayed in the text box labelled so.

> 4. Is it worth to display the file specification of the log (or would
> the file specification be included inside the text field)?
It'll be in the "Log File" greyed-out text box.

Thanks,