[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - user first reports bugs then success

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - user first reports bugs then success
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:06:25 +0200

GNUmed is free as in freedom but many users think it comes at a price. The
price tag  shows the resources you put in to make it run on your systems.

A long time ago we decided to make the installation process easier. This
involved producing an installer for MS Windows. Few users have reported on
their experience but it seems GNUmed benefits from its packaged versions. This
holds true for Debian , Ubuntu and MS Windows.

Just a few days ago a German doctor reported a problem with GNUmed 0.2.6.3. One
E-Mail and a fix later he has been successful in bootstrapping a GNUmed
database and running the client against it. Congrats. Way to go. While we don't
know about his computer skills he is a doctor by profession and not a fulltime
IT/IS guy.

He asked about the scanner connectivity and framegrabber options and has since
reported success.

But what's worth even more is the bug he triggered and reported which makes us
release version 0.2.6.4 in a few days which holds a number of fixes.

He even supplied us with valuable information on how to connect the German
legacy app 'DocConcept' to GNUmed through our great XML-RPC interface. As of
now we have four (4) legacy apps in our Wiki which can interact with GNUmed
without a single code change.

Well thanks to our testers. For him updating to future versions will be a piece
of cake.
*
* help solving the protein folding problem
foldingathome.stanford.edu
*
* sign the linux driver petion :
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html