Re: Lab importing Re: [Gnumed-devel] Bootstrap of (test) lab data

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Lab importing Re: [Gnumed-devel] Bootstrap of (test) lab data
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:42:27 +0100

> > I know someone who is very Java familiar and may be able to assist any
> > questions of how current Oscar code imports a large portion of British
> > Columbia (BC, CA) lab data into the Oscar backend if there were value to
> > a Python importer for this data being crafted.
It would be really helpful if that person could extract from Oscar code and/or
HL7 files which data fields would have to be accommodated by our database.

> > Is it recommended that instead of providing such an external (java)
> > service with the gm-dbo password, some different user would be set up
> > like gm-labagent to authorize this activity?
I would indeed suggest to setup a dedicated GNUmed user to use for importing
lab data.

> Have a look at Mirth - http://www.mirthproject.org/ - which can be
> scripted in Java or Python and which can interface directly to database
> back-ends or via various APIs or Web service interfaces. Might be easier
> than re-inventing all this within GNUmed
I fully agree. For importing of lab data we should be using Mirth to parse
sources into our database. That would be another helpful thing the Java person
could do for us - setup Mirth to parse your HL7 input which will show us where
the GNUmed backend lacks fields to support the incoming data. I would see to it
that the necessary fields are added. We would then write a fairly simple
grid-based viewer as a first iteration.

> (or might not be). we are about
> to look at it in detail for interfacing NetEpi with various lab HL7 and
> other data feeds - happy to report our findings in a month or two.
Please do, yes.