Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prompt for "Summary of encounter / consultation" (AOE

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prompt for "Summary of encounter / consultation" (AOE); unsaved progress notes
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:41:51 +0100

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:12:46PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> During one session of progress note entries for Kirk, while I was pretty
> sure I was not finished (I had been sure that I had not saved all parts of
> my progress note), I decided I would search for Spock and see what would
> happen.
>
> I was pleased to see that I got prompted to provide a summary of encounter.
> However:
>
> 1. What raises this dialog?
It is raised by main frame receiving the signal
"pre_patient_selection" which is sent by the singleton
"current patient" object just before changing its internal
state to the new patient. Due to threading issues parts of
this better be done asynchronously so the patient can end up
being changed before the dialog is eventually displayed
(although the dialog data *will* correctly refer to the
previous patient).

I forced this dialog to appear synchronously now, we will
see whether we actually hit any threading issues or not.

> I could not reproduce it, even after typing
> unsaved or saved text in the progress note editor for Kirk and then
> searching for Spock.
There's a few conditions that are checked. The dialog is NOT shown if:

- the user said as much in the configuration
- there were neither narrative nor documents added
- there is both already a summary and a non-zero duration
  set for the current encounter
- did have docs but no narrative added, in this case:
  - if empty the summary is set to "only documents added"
  - if duration is zero the endpoint is set to "now"

> 2. In the popup dialog, the name of the patient (Kirk, which is not
> editable, anyway) is positioned in the lower half of the dialog. This needs
> to be near the top to help the user (who has just typed spock, and who sees
> spock in the search dialog) realize that the note is still dealing with
> Kirk.
Like so ? (see attachment)

> Also the ability to leave the current patient with
> unsaved progress notes causes them to be completely lost...
> this is *not good*
I know, I will fix this in 0.2.9.