Re: [Gnumed-devel] Schema question re labs

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Schema question re labs
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:08:57 +0100

On Mittwoch 06 Februar 2008, James Busser wrote:
> In
>
>       http://salaam.homeunix.com/~ncq/gnumed/schema/devel/gnumed-
> schema.html#clin.table.lab-request

In Germany or at least in some settings and even in my hospital the lab
provides barcodes to attach to tubes. In my hospital we even electronically
request lab tests which are attached to the barcode in the database so when
they scan in the tube's barcode they know what tests to run.

We used to have paper where we had to check off lab test but we did away with
them. Most of the time here in Germany we know the name/abbreviation of a lab
test for a particular lab. It hardly changes but obviously can change.

Different labs do have different codes but we almost never have situation
where we hand tubes to a patient , let them choose the lab and later expect
the computer to magically know some weird abbreviation.

If your labs don't change the codes very often it might be useful to have per
lab code reference sheets which will have to be maintained manually by the
lab or doctor or group of doctors.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany