Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lab importing Re: Bootstrap of (test) lab data

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Lab importing Re: Bootstrap of (test) lab data
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:20:26 +0100

> > > I have asked my lab data broker to confirm whether labs may in some
> > > cases supply no reference range information.
> >
> > Are such non-contextual values even of any clinical use ?
>
> Yes
> There are some I just don't know offhand - say the therapeutic range of an
> unfamiliar drug.
> Then sometimes the 'normal' values change. Over many years that's happened
> cholesterol and more recently here to B12.

This seems to me an argument in favour of "unreferenced values are
(scientifically speaking) of no use". Nonetheless the previously
mentioned axiom still holds: never lose patient data. IOW we'll have
to store those less-than-useful values just as well allowing to
attach reference ranges when established. The latter part will, however,
be done in a later iteration.