Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on Ubuntu

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 08:32:56 +0200

On Mittwoch 30 April 2008, you wrote:
> On 29-Apr-08, at 12:38 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > Quite some bug reports lately. Mostly because Ubuntu Hardy ships a
> > outdated
> > GNUmed version (0.2.8.2)
>
> Maybe Ubuntu does not actually contain 0.8,2 but just an instruction
> to download 0.8.2. But maybe that version is specified ("pinned") in
> Ubuntu Hardy and will not automatically download the newest GNUmed
> until a future release codes an instruction to use a newer version.
>
> Ideally Ubuntu would permit whatever is the newest (highest) GNUmed
> release to be used. Wouldn't Ubuntu (like Debian) have a global
> command to "update all of my packages" which would hopefully be done
> by people who download any release of Ubuntu / Debian?

At the time of feature freeze 0.2.8.2 was recent. Same goes for Debian stable.
I belive. Meaning debian stable won't be updated ? You can mix in testing
packages in Ubuntu as well but this is far from userfriendly.

However they have personal package archives just like I have one for
openSUSE , Fedoras, Mandrivas ...

It is just not very intuitive to the user how to add these. If one however can
read our wiki it can be done.

However. Even getting the user to know there is an updated version in some
obscure pakage repository is challenging.

For the future we should integrate a message directly into gnumed. GNUmed
should have a feature to detect a newer version is available.

I imagine some online resource like a file on a webserver that is being
evaluated. Python itself has something like this with python eggs I believe.
We could display that in the statusbar.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany