Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.2.8.7 from Windows

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.2.8.7 from Windows
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:02:44 +0200

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:59:25AM -0700, James Busser wrote:

> I do notice that in the Windows application manager it does not matter
> what version of the client is installed, the client is only ever listed
> in the manager as gnumed-client 0.2 but perhaps additional detail is
> available somewhere else if Windows users would need to figure this out.
It is a) in the log and b) displayed in the login dialog
starting with 0.2.9.

> The .exe installed on XP without any problems.
> The client was able to get to the login screen and connect to salaam
> without any difficulty ie. without having to alter the Windows path.
Good.

> I did later, after going back to the inbox and trying to open one of the
> messages, receive an "application not responding" error. After I quit out
> of GNUmed the machine prompted me to send a report to Microsoft. When I
> clicked the link to open the "technical information", the files that were
> listed were
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\jb\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9f82.dir00\pythonw.exe.mdmp
> C:\DOCUME~1\jb\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9f82.dir00\appcompat.txt
Seems that Windows was unable to properly run the Python
interpreter or there was in bug in that interpreter.

> As far as a log, I located in
>
>    C:\Documents and Settings\jb\.gnumed
>
> the file "gnumed" which I gather is the log (attached). I don't know why
> no .log extension is apparent in the Windows GUI (even right-click
> "properties" would not show this)
There's an option somewhere to hide "common shell extensions".

The use of a "powertool" a la tweakui may be required to
"regain access" to such arcana.