Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.3.0 and Live CD

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.3.0 and Live CD
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:13:43 -0700

On 24-Aug-08, at 2:21 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I am happy to announce that GNUmed version 0.3.0 has just
been released.

Apart from working in parallel on some lab stuff, one of my priorities (after getting off a series of clinical shifts ending Sept 2nd) will be to try to help feedback with client version 0.3x.

As my desktop machines are all Macs except one Windows machine, I may prefer to give the feedback testing from linux. From my point of view, as soon as GNUmed 0.3x (or 0.4) has reached the functionality that I will need in production (I am not yet in production) then I may shift to non-linux feedback from non-linux clients.

I understand that there is a GNUmed Live CD_ ISO image (last modified July 28) at

        http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/live-cd/binary-0.2.8.10-2.iso

some questions about it whose answers I can add to the wiki:

- does it make possible to boot Debian Etch, or Lenny (or is it configured to "stable", or "testing")

- can it boot on AMD processors, or only Intel?

- does it require access to the hard drive in order to write a scratch file, and must a hard drive partitionhave been already formatted in advance, using ??? file system to make this possible?

- if any updating is attempted from the Live CD (for example, to install GNUmed client 0.3.x), will such updates be lost with any shutting down or reboot of the machine?

- is a GNUmed (postgres) database already bootstrapped in this Live CD?

- may the password for *root* be needed and able to be known?

- may a password for *postgres* be needed and able to be known?

- it is mentioned on the wiki that it loads a German version of GNUmed. Accordingly if language is changed (say, to English) at a system level in Debian will this be read and acted on by the database and/or the client, or will the client on the Live CD have been pre- built (pre-packaged) in a way that will not provide the English strings?