Fwd: [Gnumed-devel] Crash when trying to run 0.3.2 client

From: James Busser
Subject: Fwd: [Gnumed-devel] Crash when trying to run 0.3.2 client
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:08:34 -0700

From: Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden>
Date: September 23, 2008 9:05:55 AM PDT (CA)

On Dienstag 23 September 2008, you wrote:
On 23-Sep-08, at 8:34 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
Joe. Please remove the system wide installation for 0.2.8.10 client
(not the
database) so we are not running into a mix here.

I am unclear here unless the problem would be if:

1) client 0.3.2 would require python-wxgtk2.8

        which do we maybe need to add to instructions for people who would
run from tarball

2) presence of python-wxgtk2.8 confuses client 0.2.8.10 which depends
on python-wxgtk2.6

It does not. I have had wx 2.8 runnig for ages and it never produced any
problems for older versions.

However #2 is a supposition... I don't know if it would bother
0.2.8.10 and had only so far understood the problem to be when a
gnumed.conf or gnumed-client.conf file contains a mismatch of
database version.

So I am not clear on the value of removing 0.2.8.10 ... the user
could have their choice of running 0.2.8.10 e.g. from Office menu, or
they could launch 0.3.2 from tarball command-line interface

True and hoped for. I vaguely remember that in some corner cases the wrong gnumed script gets called and the wrong python files (either system wide or from tarball) are used. This ideally never happens but I just wanted to make
extra sure as we have not seen this bug before.

I will try to reproduce this on my system as he seem to have it working
against the public database just fine.

ok