Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.3.5 client released

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.3.5 client released
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:05:00 +0100

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 05:37:59PM +0100, Florian Hubold wrote:

> 1. When using client-0.3.5 and server v9, i can't connect to either
> local or remote database, the selection field only says v8 for both.

The selection fields offers those selections that are
configured in the config files.

> The error message displayed is a bit irritating, it says:
>
>    Diese Datenbankversion kann mit dieser Programmversion nicht
>    verwendet werden:
>
>     Version des Client: 0.3.5
>     Gefundene Version: v8
>     Benötigte Version: v9

I slightly modified the message to say:

Gefundene Datenbank:
Benötigte Datenbank:

>    Momentan geöffnete Datenbank:
>
>     Server: salaam.homeunix.com
>     Datenbank: gnumed_v8
>     Nutzer: any-doc
>
> Does that mean that the client now requires a v9 database?
Yes.

> And what does "Gefundene Version: v8" mean?
The database version you tried to connect to.

> And about the public remote database, i thought this would
> always be the latest version?
*All* versions are available from the public server.

> 2. The project status overall. Is the client-0.3.5/server-v9 the
> new "stable" series
0.3.5 is the currently released version.

> or is it the development version? Which
We don't have development releases. We fix bugs in previous
branches if they are "worth it" (which is determined by
whether there are users). So there currently is "stable
0.2.8.x" = 0.2.8.11 and "stable 0.3.x" = 0.3.5.

> version should be used for productive usage?
0.3.5. Always the latest version we release.

> I found the
> wiki a bit unclear at this point, as it only mentions current
> and past releases, but not the status in general
Because there is no other status.

> 3. The third one is more technical. When the bootstrap-latest.sh
> script is run during rpm installation, it always fails at the very first
> step,
> probably where user interaction is required. If the same commands
> used in the rpm are run manually, the bootstrap process runs
> as usual (asks at every step for yes/no and what password).
> How should i do the debugging?
>
> The bootstrapping-v2.log file gives this information:
>
>    2008-11-02 17:16:07  DEBUG     gm.cfg
>    (/usr/lib/gnumed-server/Gnumed/pycommon/gmCfg2.py::get() #312):
>    option [installation::description] found in source
>    [file]
> 2008-11-02 17:16:07  ERROR     gm.bootstrapper
>    (./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py::<module>() #1399): unhandled exception
>    caught
>

>    Traceback (most recent call
>    last):
>

>      File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1397, in
>    <module>
> main()
>      File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1372, in main
>        handle_cfg()
>      File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1318, in handle_cfg
>        if not ask_for_confirmation():
>      File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1188, in ask_for_confirmation
>        answer = raw_input("Type yes or no: ")
>    EOFError: EOF when reading a line

You should adjust the

        interactive = yes/no

option in the config files for automatic = non-interactive
bootstrapping.

Thanks,