[Gnumed-devel] /etc/apt/preferences and sources

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] /etc/apt/preferences and sources
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:18:38 -0800

I reinstalled VMware on my Mac and have a new lenny running.

My /etc/apt/preferences are included lower down, but essentially it is a combination of Sebastian and Andreas suggestions including Andreas suggestion to give the gnumed-client package a priority from unstable.

However when I try
   apt-cache policy gnumed-client

I still get only the "stable" version of the client:
  gnumed-client:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Package pin: (not found)
  Version table:
     0.2.8.10-1 601
        500 http://ftp3.nrc.ca lenny/main Packages

Does the 601 mean that apt-cache did try to obey the pinning (601) for the client but could not find it in an unstable source?

Also is the "500" above a pin priority though it does not match the 501 that I specified for lenny?

My sources are also appended below my preferences. I admit that when Sebastian did, in December, post a source of
   deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main
I should maybe not have assumed that the following might vbe valid:
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main
   deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main

If I would put in sources based on netselect, should they all contain all the gnumed stuff or is gnumed stuff contained only in certain sources?

For a moment I wondered if it could be that I had /etc/apt/ preferences without an existing apt.conf however creating one with
        APT::Default-Release "lenny";
made no difference.

==================
etc/apt/preferences has

Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny
Pin-Priority: 501

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 200

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 100

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 50

Package: gnumed-client
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 601

======================
sources.list has

#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.0 _Lenny_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1$

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.0 _Lenny_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 $

deb http://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ lenny main
deb-src http://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ lenny main

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main