[Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed "check for updates"

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed "check for updates"
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 23:34:52 -0800

On 1-Mar-09, at 11:22 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:

IMHO you should decide about the following issues:

 1. How fast do you need an update to a new version?
 2. Do you want either updates rolled out by a package manager (like
    dpkg or rpm) or do you prefer an update mechanism inside GNUmed
    itself?  (I'd strongly vote against two "competing" upgrade
    mechanisms!)

Maybe it is not obvious, but some questions I am not asking purely (and sometimes not at all) for myself, but imagining if I were some other users.

Even so, thank you Andreas for the above, as well as for the additional helpful information in your last reply though I did not quote it all above.

I do agree that duplication is usually best avoided other than what downstream users might choose to do themselves.

I might only still think that when people might not be often checking their system update notifications, it can still be helpful if it is possible to easily (inside an application) query if there are newer versions.