[Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed "check for updates"

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed "check for updates"
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:54:46 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Jim Busser wrote:

I might only still think that when people might not be often checking their system update notifications, it can still be helpful if it is possible to easily (inside an application) query if there are newer versions.

Also here: my answer might have sounded dry but this does not mean that
you have a point.  There are two answers to the latest suggestion:

  1. People *should* check their update notifications (independently
     from the OS they are using and GNUmed is not the main reason to
     do so).
  2. There might be reasons to trigger an update to the latest not-yet
     packaged GNUmed version (which you might know better than me). If
     there are really strong reasons to approach this I'd vote for the
     following approach:
        1. deinstall the packaged version
        2. install the unpackaged version
     This is IMHO the only clean way to avoid competing upgrade
     mechanisms - and you have to decide whether the reasons are strong
     enough to spend time on this (and IMHO this really takes some time).

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de