[Gnumed-devel] Re: Unstable vs testing

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Unstable vs testing
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:22:00 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Since gnumed has many dependencies, is it better to *not* be
installing gnumed-client and all of its dependencies from unstable?
When you run testing all packages from unstable are slated for
moving to testing within 10 days anyways (barring a blocker).

Additional comment: There are people out there who are running
unstable and there is even a distribution (Sidux) which claims
unstable is good enough.  I personally think *unstable* has its name
for a reason and so I avoid it "wherever possible".  It is finally
your decision based on your knowledge whether it is possible
for *you* to avoid unstable.

If the package usually moves from unstable into testing within about
10 days then I wonder whether the needs of people who would depend on
gnumed for real use,

I would *never* trust people who depend on a GNUmed version which
is sitting in unstable.  If there is a burning (=security) problem
it should be delivered via the security update mechanism in stable.
If it is "just another new version" people should not really
*depend* from it.

It seems like we are normally testing release candidates via
tarballs. This makes we wonder whether, after a gnumed-client package
is built and is moved into unstable, do we ever get RC bugs filed
against the gnumed package in unstable?
We do at times.

... as any piece of software.

Kind regards