Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: debian install gnumed-client 0.3.10-1 package ove

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: debian install gnumed-client 0.3.10-1 package overwrites ntp.conf
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:46:31 +0100

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 11:28:50PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

>> No, this is not possible in gnumed-client (and also makes no sense).
>> Gnumed-client
>> has no control over the config files of its dependencies and I see no
>> rationale
>> why we should try to influence one specific dependant package and not
>> the others.
>
> Well I hope I gave no offense, I had no way of knowing if there was
> something special or different about NTP but clearly your response is
> that it was not, so I humbly withdraw the question. :-)

Jim, while from Andreas' point of view it may be a question
of "it just so happens to be and that's quite normal" I do
believe it is valid to elicit answers to it here on the list
because a) the install/upgrade of ntp was indeed effected
via it being depended on by gnumed-client and b) other
people might (hopefully) be searching the mailing list
archives for clues to their problems and find this.

We just shouldn't draw the wrong conclusions from it as to
what a gnumed-client package ought to (or not) do.