[Gnumed-devel] Windows distribution

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Windows distribution
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:22:52 +0100

Hi all,

We currently have two options to distribute GNUmed to potential users on the
Windows platform.

I have a version of the installer that stuffs everything into gnumed.exe and
does not need python or the like installed in the system

Another version checks for a valid version of python, wxpython or the likes
and installs it ( it is shipped inside the installer)

First choice has the benefit that nothing can go wrong with the dependencies.
However for every clientupdate a whooping 22 MB will be put on your drive.
Using that version it would be easier to have multiple GNUmed versions
installed. Patches to individual components is not possible.

Second choice means GNUmed makes use of a system wide installed python,
wxpython. Updates would simply ship the updates GNUmed files. Patches can be
delivered by replacing individual python files. Hacking on GNUmed is a lot
easier if anyone wants to.

Maybe this is a non issue. Anyway my build chain for Windows will produce all
versions anyway.

The question is more along the lines of what to recommend to the user in the
Wiki.