Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:14:35 +0200

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:15:34PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

>> 3) Under the EMR menu: .... <snip>
>
> Are client menu item names (GNUMed, Office etc) hard-coded in the
> client,
yes

> does this support localization / i18n in order to make
> possible native language menus
yes

> and how are Alt key shortcuts affected?
They need to be.

> Are plugin names managed multi-lingually via i18n?
yes

> Does the client logic, before building the menus, check the specified
> workplace for the presence or absence of plugins as part of deciding
> whether to provide or omit the plugin(s) from the menu system?

No. The plugins send a message to the menu system which
triggers inclusion of a menu item for them.

> When there would be a conflict or competition between the task to be
> done and the kinds of staff which might be permitted to do the tasks, do
> we consider the menu item placement to be more driven by what is to be
> done, as opposed to worrying who should (be permitted to) do it?

Not sure I understand.

> If it is decided that certain kinds of plugins should be limited to
> certain staff (say, doctors) can such plugins refuse to load, even if
> other staff (say, non-doctors) added such plugins to a workplace which
> they used?

Not currently but this can be done. It only adds virtual
security, however.

> 1) Would you agree it makes sense to relocate xDT viewer from under
> Tools to instead be in Person

No. It doesn't relate to just one person.

> (maybe beneath Export to GDT?)  Would it be
> better to call this "Import xDT"

No. It doesn't import.

> and is it better Alt I or Alt X?

Neither. It is way to rarely used to warrant a shortcut.
Alt-X is one of the shortcuts typically used for exiting an
application.

> 2) Is there special importance or desire to keep the word "staff"?
Not with me :-)

What should we use instead ?

> 3) Currently, what might be considered "configuration" information is
> split out across the menus GNUmed and Office and within the Office menu

Those items which are under "GNUmed / Configuration"
configures *how* GNUmed behaves.

What is found under "Manage master data" doesn't (directly)
define the how - it rather manages the data itself.

> it is necessary to get down three sublevels. Can we consolidate them all
> under GNUmed?

Done but less intrusive.

> - rename menu Plugins >
>       Go to plugin >