[Gnumed-devel] Waiting list improvements needed

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Waiting list improvements needed
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:52:44 -0700

I am noticing that wxWidgets always sizes the right-most column "hugely" at the expense of crowding the others, perhaps because this column *potentially* hold the most content.

I am wondering whether to display a "trimmed" value (trimmed of blank space) would provide better default sizings among columns? Or would that hobble the user by refusing them (on edit) access to the full storage which the backend table (column) definition would have otherwise accommodated?

Do the widgets support column clicking as a determiner of sort order or are the headings static i.e. unlinked to the middleware?

Can we improve on the current (cvs rc4) GUI labeling inside this plugin?

- in the column names, the "!" seems to me insufficiently informative... all the other columns have words, can we use "Urgency" because this is the same label as is used anyway inside the editing area?

- among the buttons, we do not have a consistency in what they relate to... I would have thought that (unless clearly labeled otherwise) the buttons would pertain to the Waiting list items however:

- - the Activate and Activate ± buttons do not activate the waiting list items, they activate the patient

- - the Activate ± does not "plus minus", it Activates the patient and -- without confirmation -- "minuses" the waiting list item. The user who did not realize this has now *lost* whatever was to be done.

What approach could most suitably allow a "removed" item to be re- examined? Could the v12 schema (or v11 with fixups) be altered to create a column "Status"? My suggestion would be a default of "NULL" with the ability to store "+1" (1) to denote "completed" and "-1" to denote "removed". The widget could then default to display "Incomplete" items with toggles to permit alternatively the review and searching among "Completed" and "Removed" items.

In the meantime I would suggest:

- change Activate to
        Activate Person

- change Activate ± to
        Activate Person ±
*and*, when this button is clicked, present to the user the dialog
        "Activating… also remove this waiting list item?" (Default "Yes")

NB: can the user still see what it was that they had clicked, in focus, as they would answer the above dialog, in case the user had made an incorrect click?

Also, after Activating a patient, it is annoying that it is the waiting list that may contain the task that needs work *after* patient activation, but the focus has since switched to some different plugin as a consequence of post-search activation settings. Therefore two questions:

1) can Waiting list patient activation ignore post-search settings (which may only be sensible to obey when the wait list item was removed as part of the activation?)

2) I can imagine other situations where an office helper or doctor wishes to remain inside the same plugin (which is different than their post-search setting) across multiple different patients. However there is no way in
        GNUmed > Preferences > User interface > Patient search > Initial plugin
to "unset" a selection which would be the way I think this could be handled. Wishlist? Difficulty?

"Remove" button. SInce it does not remove the Person (it removes the waiting list item) it could do with "Remove waiting list item" but I would accept to leave it as it stands, "implied".

"Properties" button... too technical, and unclear. This IMO is not the right word, as we are not always "fixing" the item (as implied by the wrench icon) nor necessarily altering the "Properties" since we may only be updating the textual details, while keeping urgency and zone the same. Therefore can we just name this button "Edit"?

"Up" "Down"... I incorrectly predicted that these would move the focus up or down the list, whereas what they seem to do is to alter the "float level" of the selected item within the list on some (non- visible) basis, even over-riding the "Urgency". If any item were to be moved up using such a tool, with the result that the item newly rests among items with a higher urgency it would seem to me that the urgency should be auto-upgraded, But I do not know what it would mean when as a consequence of these button pushes the item could cross through some zone.

Also re the Up Down buttons: any item that was selected, upon being acted on, loses focus, and needs re-acquisition of focus after each button push. Keeping of focus despite the Up, Down, and Edit (and Activate) clicks would be helpful but maybe the wxObject does not support this by virtue of refreshing the display with no option but to lose the focus. But maybe there exists a way to "remember" the item and if it remains in the listing, to re-acquire the focus.

Also can the "Remove" and "Edit" and "Up and "Down" buttons all be made smarter so that if no "Waiting list" item is in focus when clicked, the status area reports

        No waiting list item selected.