Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problem running net install attempting re-bootstrap

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problem running net install attempting re-bootstrap
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:30:33 +0200

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 09:56:39AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> As I had already downloaded the v11 (database) rc4 I went into its
> ../server/bootstrap area and, as sudo, tried running the net install
> script which failed.

It should be run as a normal user, not as root.

> Also, given that I am running it with sudo, I noticed and wondered
> what is the purpose of
>     .gnumed/server-installation
> as evidenced by the line
>    [/home/jbusser/.gnumed/server-installation]

It is used as a holding area for file needed for
bootstrapping/upgrading.

> in my own user directory...

It must have been created there by an earlier non-root run
of the script.

> is it simply an appropriate local user
> place into which to write files (or logs)

yes

> but where the result (had
> it not failed) was going to be a set of databases accessible to the
> whole machine,

No. The result would be in the standard PG installation.

> address@hidden:~/GNUmed-v11.rc4/server/bootstrap$ sudo sh
> net_install-gnumed_server.sh

This switches to root, does not change directories, runs a
shell and runs the first net_install* it can find, likely
the one in your current working directory. It will store
logs and files under /root/.gnumed/server-installation/,
however.

The script should be run simply as

        ./net_install-gnumed_server.sh

BTW, doing this will give you a v10 database, not v11, as
that isn't released yet.