Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed-update

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed-update
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:18:48 +0200

> Two ideas come to mind if we want GNUmed database managers to stay
> aware of the updates:
>
> 1. In order that update messages not be buried inside devel messages,
> at what point should we re-activate address@hidden which still
> has 70 people subscribed? Maybe that is where we should be sending
> future updates (which we can still cc to devel with the reminder to
> subscribe to gnumed-update)

I keep forgetting to post release notices to -update. We should be
doing that even now.

> 2. Whether it is feasible for "Check for updates" to communicate not
> only the existence of an update, but its "criticality". Could any
> such criticality be made apparent through the checking for and
> communication of a new client?

It could, yes. Please file a wishlist bug tagged medium-complexity.

The one non-trivial problem with this is how to decide what
criticality to deliver when ?

Assume client 0.4.5 has a bug that really ought to be fixed ASAP.
Assume 0.4.6 fixes that. Now assume 0.4.7 is out, too.

What do we tell a user running 0.4.5 ?
What do we tell a user running 0.4.6 ?

For this reason a simple string ("the latest 0.4.7 fixes a critical
bug, upgrading strongly recommended") won't work.

Starting from there it can get arbitrarily complex.

One approach might be to have a list of strings, one line per
release, prefixed with the release. Then display that list and
have the user decide whether anything applies to them.