Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Certification: Canada henceforth requires patient

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Certification: Canada henceforth requires patient management software to be certified
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:58:59 +0100

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:13:25PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> On this, it was commented (offlist)
>
> >I'll bet that requirement was pushed by the current incumbents who
> >have the resources to do so. How sad :(
>
> The above is certainly possible, however it need not disadvantage an
> open source project provided the dollar costs are not too high.

It is often the Red Tape associated with such things
typically devised to keep those in pay who invented it.

> Subject to the latter, I can imagine the participants in a FLOSS
> project being as much or more interested in the project quality than
> a traditional vendor may care to be.

Yep. Who will typically pay certification fees first ?
Traditional vendors. Are they interested in paying for
compliance testing to a standard which makes it hard for
them to pass ? I shouldn't think so. It's only been this
year after many that CCHIT came under sufficient pressure to
offer some sort of easier access to certification as far as
the US go.

It's different only when true heavy-weights like NASA or
some federal military puts forth testing standards. Simple
governments typically aren't that enlightened (but who
knows).

It's still a reality.