Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Medication viewing

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Medication viewing
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:22:51 +0100

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 06:01:07PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Made me think of a wrinkle surrounding "when was the medication
> started" (.clin_when) ...
>
> Suppose I provide a prescription, instructing the patient as follows:
>
> - if the current symptoms do not improve by X days
> - if in future you should develop
>       - symptoms of H1N1
>       - an exacerbation of COPD
>       - a flare-up of gout
>
> you should being taking
>       - oseltamivir x 5 days
>       - doxycycline x 5 days
>       - colchicine x 3 days
>
> So maybe in this case it is important to not forget that this
> medication despite that it is not current "at this moment" could
> easily become current at any time after the visit has ended. So I am
> thinking that maybe in this case
>
> - clin_when could be NULL
> - duration could be a definable interval

> What approach to data creation is taken in GNUmed / Postgres... in
> other words, when in a widget a user would click 'New", is there:
>
> - a row created in a Postgres table that takes on default values
> which are then displayed to the user?

No. A new row is only created after the user clicked [Save]
and the data passed the validity tests.

> - being not yet committed until after the user clicked "Save", would
> this so-called row be equivalent to a 'virtual" row?

It would, yes. In fact, it would be so virtual as to not
exist yet.

> - is it known whether the client has the ability to receive schema
> default values

The client doesn't but it is possible to get them.

> and refresh them based on contextually-available
> information so that without user interaction the user could already
> be presented something closer to what they need?

The widgets try to present meaningful defaults if at all.

> - if the client would default to offer (as clin_when) the current
> datetime and the user would delete this datetime to make the field
> empty, would this result in the value being saved as NULL?

It would if it could. In actuality it would result in the
validity tests failing.