Re: [Gnumed-devel] Update on status of Mac OS 10.6 (darwin 10) Snow Leop

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Update on status of Mac OS 10.6 (darwin 10) Snow Leopard
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:30:03 +0100

Am Montag 25 Januar 2010 05:23:18 schrieb Jim Busser:
> On 2010-01-24, at 8:43 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > Don't get me wrong here but it seems like Apple's attitude towards this
> > is why should we care.
>
> I think we need to be careful to separate Apple from the volunteer
>  community who is working to make it more possible to run free (e.g
>  Linux/*nixbuilt packages) software on the Mac.

Yes if it was not for those brave MacPorts developers it would be exactly like
I said before.

> > If you (us) as a software developer want to go Mac we must play by their
> > rules.
>
> No, MacPorts has all along worked to try to insulate itself from the lack
>  of control over what Apple does. For example Apple for the longest time
>  was running Python 2.3 and also made some changes to it which not even
>  those softwares able to run on Python 2.3 would necessarily run correctly
>  (from what I understand) so MacPorts made it possible to have multiple
>  non-Apple-ized pythons on one's Mac and to select from among these "normal
>  pythons" without disturbing the base modification on which Apple depended.

MacPorts is a fine piece of developement. However it is exactly what Apple is
trying to shield Joe Average from. I believe they have a GUI which is good but
Joe average does not want to learn about a terminal/shell hinding in his/her
Mac. It's point and click or forget it.

> > That means we need to get those dmg images working and throw every
> > dependency into that dmg.
>
> Well. the above would work but I think for production it will be better to
>  have MacPorts (which is not an Apple project although I think Apple might
>  indirectly support it). Snow Leopard (10.6) was only released around
>  August - September and so with it being only January I would be reluctant
>  to be critical. As to why bother to try to get GNUmed working on
>  non-Linux, I think it's important to help people who use the other OS's
>  that what they can run on their customary OS (and more) can run on Linux.
>  It overlaps a post to the MacPorts list I made here:
>  http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-January/018597.h
> tml

I agree that MacPorts is the way to go. But that is to teach Macs the concepts
of repositories and versioning of packages because said OS does not care about
those concepts. And since it does not care about the concept the user is not
aware of that.

I will support any effort undertaken to bring GNUmed to any platform desired
by the user when there are considerable numbers of users and treating OS X
like any other OS - no better, no worse.

This is my personal opinion which does not reflect the GNUmed project's take
on Mac packages.

Since Jim is heading this effort his opinion on this is much more valid then
mine.

Sebastian