Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on multiple OS ... is it possible ?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on multiple OS ... is it possible ?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:27:27 +0200

Am Sonntag 28 März 2010 19:23:05 schrieb Rogerio Luz Coelho:
> Ok so I will soon have a Dual or Triple Boot system to work with my new
> Laptop needs, what I want to know is if it is possible to make the
> Debian/Ubuntu (still going to decide witch) the Mandriva and the Windows
> system all look for the GNUmed DB at the same partition ..
>
> Is this remotely possible?
If and only if you use the same postgres version you can set up Mandriva /
ubuntu /Debian to access the identical postgres data directory.

You could dedicate a partition the data directory of postgres, mount that
partition in each distro (not at the same time) and tell eack postgres
(Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu about that data directory). I once used data file
created on Linux in a Windows postgres but it is not recommended.
Windows XP does not know UTF-8 for the locale so you would have to live with
locale C on Linux and Windows.

> Use case:
>
> I am at my office running Debian/Ubuntu and then have to go to a patient´s
> house for a home consult, there the patient asks me about a medicine he is
> planing on taking and looks for my advice, since my wireless is not there
> yet in the Debian/Ubuntu and works 100% on M$-Win , I boot up Win7 and look
> at the medicine information available online.

Use case is understood. See above.

Sebastian