Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on multiple OS ... is it possible ?

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on multiple OS ... is it possible ?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:15:06 +0200

Am Montag 29 März 2010 00:26:51 schrieb Rogerio Luz Coelho:
> 2010/3/28 Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden>
>
> > Am Sonntag 28 März 2010 19:23:05 schrieb Rogerio Luz Coelho:
> > > Ok so I will soon have a Dual or Triple Boot system to work with my new
> > > Laptop needs, what I want to know is if it is possible to make the
> > > Debian/Ubuntu (still going to decide witch) the Mandriva and the
> > > Windows system all look for the GNUmed DB at the same partition ..
> > >
> > > Is this remotely possible?
> >
> > If and only if you use the same postgres version you can set up Mandriva
> > / ubuntu /Debian to access the identical postgres data directory.
> >
> > You could dedicate a partition the data directory of postgres, mount that
> > partition in each distro (not at the same time) and tell eack postgres
> > (Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu about that data directory). I once used data
> > file created on Linux in a Windows postgres but it is not recommended.
> > Windows XP does not know UTF-8 for the locale so you would have to live
> > with
> > locale C on Linux and Windows.
>
> What if I DO make it locale C ... do I lose my accents and cedile?
>
> When you say it is not recommended do you have in mindo something bad like
> loss of data or just troublesome/hard to do?

I am no expert. As far as I remember from Karsten you can still have UTF8
(e.g. acents) for encoding of the data. The locale part which tells PG things
like money format and date format (I believe) will be 'C' and that means there
will be reduced features on that end. I believe you can still use the country
specific formats but PG cannot sort them or something like that.

Maybe PG on Windows 7 knows UFT for locale. One needs to try. OTOH PG
abandoned the MSI based installer (PG 8.3) and now recommend the enterprisedb
version (PG8.4) which does not yet expose the same silent install options as
the old one.

Last time I checked the new installer for 8.4 did not give all the options I
needed. You can help by downloading it and installing pg 8.4 on windows 7.
While you do that look out for settings of locale and encoding which should
both be set to UTF-8.

Maybe google has more info on that. As I said I am no expert at all.

Sebastian