[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed unboxed on Windows

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed unboxed on Windows
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 07:34:16 +0200

As I have written before Windows XP displays some boxes for characters it does
not know how to draw. That affects GNUmed because some symbols are used such as
a signing hand or a plus/minus sign.

The solution (only applicable to Windows) is to tell GNUmed to use a certain
font that knows about those characters.

See attached short program that tests different fonts.

When you run this in Windows you might see a few or a lot boxes depending on if
you have the font installed.

Only GNU Unifont and Code 2000 (Shareware) seem to display all characters.

DejaVu Sans seems to be a safe default for our needs.

Sebastian