Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system h

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 02:30:46 -0700

On 2010-07-01, at 1:38 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 09:37:03AM +0200, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:
>
>>>     Select the locale to be used by the new database cluster
>>>     [Default locale]
>>>
>>> ---> I set this to en_CA
>>
>> Set it to C.
>
> C would work (is intended to anyway).
>
> However, if the only selection they let you make is "en_CA"
> that would mean they are *assuming* an encoding - because
> they do not specify one (as in .utf-8 etc).
>
> I then wonder *which* they are assuming.

The installer allows only to select the locale, but not to set the encoding and
furthermore simple Mac users who made a bad choice need to be warned that
simply running the Enterprisedb binary uninstaller will leave behind not only
the postgres system user, but also
        /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data
which will retain the postgresql.conf file (which will keep the locale) and
other files.

Retaining the files in /data will cause the installer to deny the user the
option to choose anew the needed locale. Ironically, what is needed is simply
[Default locale].

en_CA
        --> client_encoding = UNICODE (I think)

        --> client_encoding = SQL_ASCII (apparently)

[Default locale]

        --> locale = "C", client_encoding = UTF8 (apparently)

I am getting closer... I now got up to v6-v7... attached is the bottom portion
of the log

==> bootstrapping "v6-v7-static" ...
==> cloning [gnumed_v6] (19 MB) as target database [gnumed_v7] ...
==> transferring users ...
==> bootstrapping "v6-v7-dynamic" ...
==> setting up auditing ...
   ... skipped (disabled)
==> setting up notifications ...
   ... skipped (disabled)
==> upgrading reference data sets ...
closing open connection from: database.__connect_owner_to_db via
database.__connect_superuser_to_db
<connection object at 0x101386e00; dsn: 'dbname=gnumed_v7 port=5432
user=postgres password=xxxxxxxx sslmode=prefer', closed: 0>
Bootstrapping failed: unhandled exception occurred

Please check the log file for details:

 /Users/djb/gnumed-server.13.4/server/bootstrap/bootstrap-latest.log

Bootstrapping "gnumed_v13" did not finish successfully. Aborting.
MacBook:bootstrap root#