Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping in en_CA on Mac OS 10.6.x Snow Leopard

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping in en_CA on Mac OS 10.6.x Snow Leopard
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 23:17:04 +0200

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 01:50:48PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> - where the bootstrapper says
>       I need the password for the GNUmed database user [postgres].
>       Please type the password:
>       The database owner will be created.
> --> can the above line ("The database owner) better say
>       The GNUmed database owner [gm-dbo] will be created.

Done.

> - will all users want the bundles
>       bundle "demographics-de"
>       bundle "demographics-es"
>       bundle "au-locale"

It is of no consequence to them.

> - about the destructiveness of this bootstrap... we are careful in the wiki
> to warn that this method *is destructive*  *warning*  *do not do this if you
> have production data* however the output comments that are issued at various
> stages include
>       This will update an existing GNUmed version ...
>       database to the version ... schema. It does not do
>       any harm to the data contained within.
> ... explanation?

Upgrading version X to version X+1 does not do any harm to
version X. It will delete version X+1, of course.

> - after adjusting pg_hba.conf per above, I connected from the master client
> (from command line) to access my new local db however

> a) the user gets a warning about client version = GIT HEAD
>       database version detected: unknown database schema
>       database version needed: devel
> ... is there anything the wanting-to-alpha-test user (or coders) can do to
> better inform or satisfy the above "check"?

No.

> b) does the db language setting never get set during
> bootstrap

it never gets set but it can get copied

>, therefore always be required to be
> user-acknowledged at first connection,

not if it gets copied over

> or does it sometimes
> get set during the bootstrap

yes

> depending on being able to
> determine the locale from (e.g.) the root's locale at the
> time of bootstrap?

no, that would not be useful either because root won't log
in anyway

It gets copied in case one is upgrading from vX to vX+1 and
vX already had it set.

> My method for this latest bootstrap on Mac:
>
> This involved the previously installed dependencies from MacPorts, except
> postgres (server) installed from enterprisedb binaries (and selecting, during
> that pg install, locale = en_CA)
>
> 1. To gain the root prompt I did
>       sudo -i
> 2. I again forgot to make the root environment know about the dependencies
> that had been installed using MacPorts, so just needed to re-export that PATH
> 3. I downloaded the newest master source .tgz from gitorious

> 4. The obstacle "Cannot bootstrap bundles" was fixed by
> uncommenting, in several of the ../bootstrap/ files, the
> #password prompt for postgres (but, curiously, only had to
> provide it once... maybe to just uncomment in
> bootstrap-local_first or bootstrap-monolithic_core would
> have sufficed?)

It would suffice to uncomment in only the first that makes
actual use of it - not sure off the top of my head which one
that would be.

> 5. I had not bothered yet to reinsert (in the default postgres pg_hba.conf)
> the line
>       local   samegroup      +gm-logins                    md5
>   but, as already pointed out, this seems not necessary for the bootstrap
> 6. The console output is below. The bootstrap log file is 1.4Mb... I can send
> it offlist, if Karsten or others should like to look at it.

Not unless we start seeing problems.

Looks all good to me.