Re: [Gnumed-devel] More lab test result considerations: groupings

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] More lab test result considerations: groupings
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:51:06 +0200

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 07:26:23AM +1000, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> > from a technical perspective, one of the implications are that two
> > different labs are responsible for the exact same test result.  two labs
> > provide the exact same test result.  two labs, each of which has their own
> > independent numbering system, provided the exact same test result.
>

> Yes!
> Lab A collects sample and sends to Lab B for analysis.
> Lab B sends result to Gnumed and to Lab A
> Lab A now renumbers the test result and sends it to Gnumed
>
> usually I only get Lab A result electronically but often get the paper from
> both.

Liz, thanks. Very interesting scenario. I believe GNUmed can
deal with it - it would import the test result twice. This
is a classic split brain situation so all a poor computer
can do is go ahead and split. Because, in reality, there
still is only one request (as far as GNUmed/the requesting
physician is concerned). Even if the labs choose to not
honour reality.