Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 21:40:17 -0800

On 2010-12-30, at 3:08 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 02:48:28PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> How would it work, from the GNUmed user point of view, to use FreeDiams?
>> <snip>
>> 2) actual within-patient use?
>>      - user activates a patient (sets in focus)
>>      - user selects Medication plugin
>>      - user click "Add" button (?)
>> and without further action gets launched into an instance of FreeDiams?
>
> No. That would launch the "Add Substance Intake" edit area.

Sounds like we (GNUmed) should develop a bootstrap script to (optionally)
populate, from

        Freediams DRUGS table

the GNUmed table

        branded_drug

??

>> How would a user signal to pass the list to FreeDiams,
>
> On behalf of some action such as:
>
>> test interactions
>
> by selecting some entries and pressing [Interactions].

The labelling of the existing button for adverse drug reactions reporting

        ADR

is maybe sufficiently informative but I expect that for exporting a selected
set of drugs to an interaction checker (like FreeDiams) perhaps

        IA

is not enough? If GNUmed via wxWidgets would easily support images in its
buttons, then 2 side-by-side molecules with arrows between them would be neat
however if in the meantime we stick with text then maybe

        Interactions

>> to re-prescribe some or all current medication or just
>
> We don't yet have a button to do so.

It could be possible in GNUmed to use the existing medication list as a basis
to print a prescription, however:

1) I don't think GNUmed presently supports to print only a current (maybe
discontinuous) selection from among current substances

2) even if such a selection were possible, it may be needed (at print time) to
print to a different template than is normally used to give the patient "their
instructions" and I am not sure if this is selectable presently

3) even if a tweaked-for-prescription template were selected, GNUmed is still
not (in the current version) ready to prepare prescriptions

So do we supply a button "Rx" or "Prescribe" that is separate from
interactions, but which could function *like* interactions, as follows:

A) if GNUmed is configured to call an external prescribing program (like
FreeDiams), GNUmed will

        (i) send the demographic information and drug selection to FreeDIams

        (ii) on exit of instance of FreeDiams, parse the output file and

                (a) add any not-yet-existing branded_drugs to the branded_drugs
table

                (b) to-be-coded auto-add, to the patient's unsigned documents,
the referenced PDF

                (this having-to-sign step adds extra work… could auto-signing
be enabled?)

                (c) to-be-coded auto-update "current medication list"

B) if GNUmed is not thus configured, will

        depending maybe on future tables or columns, support the input of
"prescription detail" then print

>> Upon returning from the FreeDiams session…
>>
>> 1) any branded-drug that was prescribed, but does not yet-exist in GNUmed
>>
>>      --> gets added to the table "branded_drug"
>
> Yes, pending to 0.5.x exporting enough data.

Well, there can be no return from FreeDiams until after there is first a

        button to go to FreeDiams :-)