Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed problem in Ubuntu

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed problem in Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 13:42:19 -0700

On 2011-04-11, at 2:50 AM, Tonatiuh de San Julián wrote:

> 5º "sudo apt-get install gnumed-server"
> I need a private data-base so I install the server, but he present me
> with a dialogue that I don't know what to do. Something about a mail
> server. I do the accept accept accept process.

Others may comment but I believe this is optional.

I am not sure whether the GNUmed server is presently designed to *want* to be
able to send mail (either presently, or in the future) or whether this is a
side-effect of a dependency on which GNUmed depends

> 6º "sudo nano /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/pg_hba.conf"
> I try to change this file, but I have a problem, it has different
> lines that the ones you presented in your installation guide.
>
> "add the three lines below, placing them
>
>    toward the end of the "local" section, meaning after the line "
> local all postgres ident sameuser "
>    but just before the line " local  all  all  ident sameuser "
> "
> In my Ubuntu system this lines are:
>
> "local   all         postgres                          ident"
> "local   all       all        ident"
>
> So I need to know what to do here.

I am wondering whether newer versions of Postgres have altered the "default"
lines that ship in the pg_hba.conf file, I did see in an external list response
to Karsten that alternative authentication was being considered:

So maybe the wiki applies only to older versions of postgres. My own file does
not have the "sections" that are referred to in the wiki page!

On Mac (FreeBSD unix), I can access my local db fine with the appended as the
only active lines in my pg_hba.conf file so my suggestion would be to put the
three lines

        # allow anyone knowing the proper password to
        # log into our GNUmed databases
        local   samegroup      +gm-logins                    md5

above the line

        # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

-- Jim

************************************
# Put your actual configuration here
# ----------------------------------
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records. In that case you will also need to make PostgreSQL listen
# on a non-local interface via the listen_addresses configuration parameter,
# or via the -i or -h command line switches.
#

# allow anyone knowing the proper password to
# log into our GNUmed databases
local   samegroup      +gm-logins                    md5

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               md5
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5